Monday, June 29, 2009

Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris




After the last few books I read I was in the mood for something a bit lighter. I tried a few different books and ended up putting 3 down before I got through the first 50 pages. I'm not one for a lot of extraneous descriptions in my books. I like to be able to use my imagination a bit and when you feel the need to use soliloquy and metaphor to describe how someone's dress hangs, it's a huge turn off for me. That was why I took a pass on yet another book by Carol Shields, in this case - The Stone Diaries: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition). There was another book I passed on for the same reason, but I can't even recall what it was. Then I tried Patricia Cornwall. I hadn't read any of her books before I typically enjoy a good suspense novel. I picked up The Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta) and gave it a try, but in the end I just found it way too dry.

After three failed attempts I finally settled on Dead Until Dark: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel . I'd had several people recommend both the book and the new tv show to me on multiple occasions. Oddly enough when I placed the order for this book, I did not realize it was the same one that the show was based on, or that so many of my friends had recommended it. It just looked entertaining so I ordered it.

The story begins with Sookie Stackhouse, a slightly strange young lady, discovering that there is a vampire in her bar (the bar she works in, that is). At this point in time Vampires have come out of the closet and have been "accepted" by society and are allowed to live among the living. It is believed that vampirism is a virus that these folks have acquired that causes them to be allergic to sunlight and garlic and need blood to live. She's been rather enraptured with the idea, and has been looking forward to her opportunity to meet one. So she was quite happy that night when one appeared in her bar. She's not the only one who is taken with him, though. As she watches another of her patrons begins to take an interest in him.

There's another little twist here, and that is that Sookie is a bit different herself. Most people think she is just strange, but the truth is she can read people's thoughts, or rather hear them. It's not that she tries, in fact she tries not to, but she can. As she watches, she allows herself to listen in on the thoughts of the couple who has taken an interest in the vampire and discover that they have ill intentions for him. When they leave with the Vampire she follows and ends up saving his life. Thus begins a very unique relationship between a mind reader and a vampire.

The story takes many twists and turns as murders begin happening in Sookie's small Louisiana town. At first it is believed that her new vampire friend is the culprit, but she doesn't believe that. However, after Sookie herself becomes the target of the murderer she takes a serious interest in what is going on and takes it upon herself to discover who the real murderer is and why they are going after the women in her town.

The story is endearing and fun and you can't help but keep reading. It's no wonder that they turned this series into a television show. After reading just one book, I've ordered the rest of the series, as well as the first season of the tv show. I look forward to enjoying many more adventures of Sookie (and Bill, her vampire).

2 comments:

  1. I like vampire movies.. I read the Anne Rice novels until Queen of the Damned (when I just gave up after the point of rediculousness) but I opted not to see Twilight since I am not a 14 year old girl.
    Sounds entertaining though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the Anne Rice novels. Her Witches series was better IMO than the Vampires. I enjoyed Queen of the Damned, but the parts I enjoyed most were the parts they didn't include in the movie.

    ReplyDelete